A Green Cover being removed
Benefits of Green Covers:
- Protection against desiccation (drying) in an open winter. (Not a concern this year with extended snow cover!)
- Protection from animal activity such as deer and geese. Both tend to dislike covers.
- Prevents debris and animal waste (deer, geese, coyote) accumulation over winter.
- Allows us to perform aeration later into the fall and extend the playing quality of putting surfaces.
- Provides enhanced green-up and root growth as covers accelerate soil warming.
- Helps us achieve smoother, truer, ball roll in an earlier time frame.
Back of #15 Green - Nice & Green...just in time for St. Patty's Day!
We began rolling the greens today and we'll likely begin to mow them tomorrow. Also began rolling fairways to firm them and settle some of the natural frost heaving that occurs when the soil freezes. More information on all these activities will be posted shortly.